If you’ve seen The Matrix then you’ll be familiar with the idea/theory that life as we know it is simply a simulation.
If not, then I shall explain, fellow explorer, for I possess le knowledge.
The theory suggests that as technology is becoming exponentially more powerful every day, that at some point in the future, it will become so powerful and so realistic that humans will be able to create a simulation of the whole world; laws of science, natural happenings, disasters and free will included. And that, my friends, is our world.
You may be thinking that this theory can’t possibly be real, because you can FEEL and TOUCH and it looks real! Ahh well think a little harder, young grasshopper because here’s a numbered list detailing exactly how this may happen. And also the rare case that it won’t…or isn’t happening…or hasn’t? Just read the numbered list it took me ages.
- The future scientists obviously have the science to create a big old world with time and space and feelings and nerves and consciousness.
- The Allegory Of The Cave: there are prisoners chained in a cave and they have been chained there, facing the wall, their whole lives. Occasionally, some people walk past the mouth of the cave, casting shadows on the cave wall for the prisoners to see. The prisoners begin to assign names to the figures and objects that they see. This is their world. This is all they know. They know nothing of what’s behind them and believe that the cave wall is it. So if we’re living in a simulation, of course we believe that this is just our world because it’s all we know.
- This unexplained piece of information: You know how computers slow down when they’re trying to process something REALLY huge and complicated? And when you’re playing a video game there might be blank spaces where things haven’t loaded in yet? Well what’s a really huge and complicated thing in the universe? A black hole. What does a black hole look like? An unloaded piece of the universe. What happens outside a black hole? Time slows down. Coincidence? I think not.
- When I was younger I imagined what it would be like if someone was actually controlling me…or watching me like in The Sims. Now maybe this is just a girl who grew up playing the Sims talking… or maybe it’s another case where children are more aware of the hidden truths than adults; like how children can sometimes see ghosts when adults can’t. (You hear all those stories of children pointing and talking to people that none of the grown-ups can see).
Now this theory isn’t just some crazy idea made up by bored people. Lots of people actually believe it. SMART people. Elon Musk, the founder of Tesla, for example, believes in the theory and has talked about it many times. He has said that the chances that we are NOT living in a computer simulation is “one in billions”.
Furthermore, the idea that humans are blissfully unaware of living in a computer simulation has been portrayed in the media. For example…
- The Matrix
- More Than This by Patrick Ness
- The Maze Runner series by James Dashner
Personally, I believe that it is highly possible that we are living in a computer-generated simulation and the fact that people from the future could be watching me type this right now simultaneously fills my attention-seeking heart with joy and creeps me out quite a bit. It also freaks me out that we may never be able to do anything about it, but then again, why would we? We may never know if we are living in a computer simulation or not so…ignorance is bliss? Being unaware doesn’t affect our ability to enjoy this ‘life’ that we’ve been blessed with, whether by God, science, or wacky scientists from the future.
So let me know what you think about this subject in the comments I guess! I don’t really have many visitors to this website so any feedback would be highly appreciated (especially seeing as I’m putting of revision for GCSE’s by writing this article…)
Thanks for reading!